Thursday, November 15, 2007

Jacob Steven Summerell

Jacob Steven Summerell
November 14, 2007
7:21 pm
8lb 1oz
19 1/2 inches



Jacob arrived last night via C-section. Both mom and baby are doing well. We had a bit of a scare around 4pm when his heartrate dropped. My doctor called an emergency C-Section. I was ready for surgery when she arrived and the nurses had gotten him stable so she wanted to hold off a bit on the surgery while he was monitored further. At 6 pm, I was not progressing like she would like to see and she did not want to use drugs to help me dilate due to the fact of his heartrate dropping (without drugs earlier) so the doctor felt it was best for the baby to deliver him via a non-emergency C-Section immediately.


I was wheeled into the OR at 7pm and Jacob arrived 21 min later. Matt was able to hold him immediately and was able to go to the nursery with him. After they closed me up, I had to lay in my room with a recovery nurse for an hour before they would bring Jacob in. I was finally able to hold Jacob a little before 9 pm. The hardest part of the surgery was not being able to hold him immediately.


Everything went well (although not as we had planned) and I am recovering well. They had me just get out of bed this morning to go to the restroom and I thought it would be better to start walking the halls. So as of noon today, I have made 2 different walks of the halls. I'm a bit slow moving but overall I feel better than expected.


We will be released from the hospital on Saturday. My dad & brother will be up tonight until Sunday. Matt's mom will be coming up on Sunday for the week. She will have the pleasure of cooking us Thanksgiving!!

No comments: